Welcome 2 Hockey: An initiation program with the objective of teaching hockey FUNdementals, raising hockey IQ, and preparing your player to be ready for team play while growing their love of the sport.
Ion Offers Welcome 2 Hockey in 5 Week Sessions
For players ages 5 and up to continue developing their skills so they can transition from learning to play to participating in House Hockey with Ion Mites or Castles League teams.
Welcome 2 Hockey builds on the basics of hockey:
- movement away from the puck
- contact confidence
- fundamental team play.
* Full equipment required for all Welcome to Hockey sessions.
To learn more about Ion International Training Center's Welcome to Hockey click here.
Purchased Gift Cards have to be picked up from the Front Desk at Ion International Training Center
Give the Gift of Hockey: Welcome 2 Hockey
Full Equipment is Required for Welcome 2 Hockey.
Why do we use small area games in our development programs? The ADM emphasizes age-appropriate training as part of long-term athletic development. ADM-style practices utilize station-based drills and small area games to increase puck touches, player interactions, and decision-making all within the context of the game. The game is, after all, the best possible teacher.
- 5 week sessions focusing on team and game skills such as: line changes, face-offs, positioning and the rules of the game.
- No prior hockey exprience, No Problem! Players are divided into stations by age and level. Your skater will be assessed and placed in the appropriate station.
- Checking clinics for skaters 12 and up (optional), learn how to properly and safely play check hockey.
- FUNdementals of Hockey to get your player ready for House Hockey: Increase your Hockey IQ, learn the rules (What is off sides, what is icing, learn the positions and what they do, how and when to do line changes)
- Parents, if you are interested in eventually coaching, you are invited to join your child on the ice and participate alongside our coaches and learn how to coach hockey the Ion way.
Players at ADM practices move more and do more in their practices. As a result, ADM-style practices deliver more efficient skill development and produce more skilled players. The ADM is a nationwide blueprint designed specifically to help kids reach their full potential.
All Ion Welcome 2 Hockey players must register with USA Hockey, and bring their own equipment including:
- An H.E.C.C. certified hockey helmet with full face protection and chin strap
- Ice hockey gloves
- Elbow pads
- Shoulder pads
- Shin guards
- Ice hockey pants
- Hockey skates (hockey skate rental is available through the Front Desk)
- Hockey stick
- Mouth guard
- Neck guards are recommended but not required.